Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Between Past and Present.

“Of this I am quite sure, that if we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future.” – Winston Churchill.

Winston Churchill said a lot of things that are frequently quoted, but this little bit of wisdom rarely ever is. It stand in opposition to so much of the historical revision that goes on in today's classes and textbooks. It is important for us to learn from past wrongs and not repeat them. In order to do this we must first acknowledge them. However, our current self-deprecation and loathing of our history ignores those things in our heritage which are noble; and thus undermines our future buy persuading us that nothing we did in the past that is worth carrying through this present day.

My weekly, sometimes bi-weekly post, on this blog have been mostly about current political and social issues. They are usually written when I am irritated, excited, or distraught about some bit in the news and want to sound off. In addition to all I currently rant about, I've decided to start posting about events and people in times past that ought to be remembered and honored. I promise that they will not dull and long-winded historical essays, the likes of which most people will avoid like the plague.

At worst comments on this blog will go from zero to zero. At best, we all learn something, especially myself as I will be doing the research necessary for this series, which will be called Between Past and Present.

No comments: