Thursday, April 20, 2006

Fortune Cookie

Two days ago I ate Chinese food for lunch. My favorite part of Chinese food is the fortune cookie. That day mine read "Face facts with dignity." It's trite but true. Most of us could use a little more practice in how we deal with facts, especially the unpleasant and painful ones.

I can think of so many people who don't know how to deal with facts. The MSM, the Bush equals Hitler crowd, Fred Phelps and his "church," and many members of Congress. I know I haven't always faced fact with dignity.

However, I can also think of people who do face facts with dignity. In fact, two of them blog at Iraq the Model. Read their post entitled "Kill us, but you won't enslave us," and then send them your condolences.

The more I think about it the more I realize how many problems would be solved, or at least minimized if people faced the facts with dignity. None of us like to lose, be wrong, or hear unpleasant news, but how we deal with these things is a measure of who we are; and apparently a fortune cookie gets it right when many of us don't. Scary.

No comments: